Monday 18 May 2015

Nourish to Flourish - Week 2 Update!

We are halfway through our Nourish to Flourish Challenge - how did that happen??  It's now time to focus on the exercise aspect of our challenge.   




It is a well known statistic that health = 80% nutrition and 20% exercise.  So how can we make the most of that 20%! 

Firstly we need to make sure that our energy expenditure (exercise) is equal or greater than our energy input (food).  This simple equation is the fundamental principle in weight loss.  You probably already know this.  However, it is so much harder to reduce your "input" without failing off the wagon because all you can think about is food!  It is much easier to gradually increase the amount of exercise you are doing!

Next we need to realise that movement increases our metabolism.  ANY MOVEMENT.  It is easy to increase the amount of physical activity you do by just actually moving your body more - walking is so underrated!  

In my opinion the most effective way to increase your metabolism through exercise is to do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).  That means doing very intense exercise for a short period of time followed by a quick rest (the interval part) repeated as many times as required e.g 4 lots of exercises preformed for 45 seconds with a 15 second rest.  The exercises could be anything from power squats to sprints on an exercise bike.

Exercise also diverts your blood supply away from your digestive tract and towards the active muscles.  This helps reduce the feeling of hunger.  So next time you feel hunger and don't have a sensible snack to hand, try doing some exercise to see if it helps you beat that pang! 

Finally, did you know that the more muscle you have the higher your metabolic rate? The Human body naturally burns more calories each day to maintain a pound of muscle than it does to maintain a pound of fat.  Therefore, the more muscle you build, the more calories your body will naturally burn each day at rest.  Ok, it is only a tiny fraction more but every little helps!


So how are we all getting on with the challenge?

My verdict of this week - 

I am beginning to really notice the effect sugar has on my body.  This has made me try really hard to avoid eating anything that is too high in it - does make finding a quick snack hard if you are not a home (or prepared!).  Bananas and nuts are almost a permanent fixture in my bag now.  Otherwise I feel like I have a more consistent supply energy of  and am definitely sleeping better.  It is still a challenge not to give into cravings though, especially when I am having a very active day.!  I feel like I have made a positive change to my health and am really enjoying discovering what new combinations of food work for me.

Aileenxxx

Now for the other girls!

Sam-  Ah! the week without coffee;bear with a sore head! I had felt very tired and foggy for the first few days.  It was nice to have my substitute, more from a psychological point of view.  Now that I am into week two, I feel an immense difference.  I wake feeling fresh and not knackered, dragging myself about in order to get going in the morning.  I have loved my HITT training this week Aileen, Thank you.  It really gives you a buzz the following morning. So much so I have been out running at 6am!!!!!!!!

I also thought it would be good to give you a typical day of food for me.
Waking 500ml (approx.) of water
30mins later Breakfast - 2x scrambled egg and half an avocado (sometimes a lamb chop, I just listen to my body if I need more protein).

Snack - banana and nuts - but not always needed.

Lunch - homemade lamb burgers stuffed with feta and green salad.

Dinner - Steak/chicken with steamed green veg and butter over the top.

I am quite regimented with my water, 30 mins before I eat and 2 hrs after I've eaten.

Also goats cheese - I know this is a dairy product and I have been avoiding dairy, however, feta does not sit in your stomach for hours the way cheddar cheese does.  Feta will move through in 30 minutes.
My Goal - Portion Control! I am going to eat slower and not inhale my food.  Allowing my body to release enzymes and identify food correctly and not as a foreign object because it hits my stomach in lumps! Therefore my body has to fit incredibly hard to digest it and many more negative responses to not chewing food properly.


Natasha - she is feeling more energetic and positive.  Her skin feels better, bowels move better and she feels lighter (I might add Natasha has not weighed herself as this is not something I encourage).  Natasha has had a very positive experience with her food this week and has been cooking away frantically to get it right for herself and her family.

This week her goals are to experiment with more recipes, we looked out a few together and we shall share all next week. Also this week Natasha is going to do a food test for me, which I shall also reveal in next weeks update. Finally, bake a family treat that they can all eat.  Life is for living! -
Sam :)


No comments:

Post a Comment