Monday 11 May 2015

Nourish to Flourish - Week 1 Update!

This week 3 of us commenced our Nourish to Flourish Journey.

When you chose to change your lifestyle - it takes energy.  It is harder to change than it is to stay the same.  FACT!  I have observed many people who live in discomfort and pain, yet their ability to change is not there as they feel it is just not possible.  

For the first few weeks of working with a new client I try to keep things simple.  There is undoubtedly a lot to think about and I don't wan to overwhelm them so I make sure that I never add anything beyond their ability.

So this week we all concentrate on our own specific diet sheets.  These sheets gave us a list of foods we could and shouldn't eat, in order to gain optimal health.  For every meal we must have all the major food groups - Carbohydrate, Protein and Fat.  It is the ratios of these macronutrients that we need to get right in order to make us feel better.  Additionally, since we all metabolise food in a different way, we needed to pay attention to the particular forms of Carbohydrates, Proteins and Fats within our diet.  For example, if I were to eat  a chicken fillet at lunch time I would be looking for something to eat about 2 hrs later.  Natasha could eat chicken fillet for lunch and be satisfied until dinner.

I cannot emphasis enough - EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.

So how did we all get on adapting to our new food changes.

My verdict of this week - being a High Fat/High Protein type metaboliser I have loved being back in the flow of analysing my feelings with food.  I got a real buzz from not deviating off my food plan as I end up being drained of energy if I do.  This week for me has shown that I really have to stay away from the dairy and keep up my good meats and fats.  Loved it.  I have slept well and had a clearer mind.

My goal for next week - COME OFF THE COFFEE COMPLETELY! I'm not saying it is bad for YOU, I'm saying I know I do better without it.  Coffee is similar to the way sugar effects the body.  It triggers an insulin response within the body and makes it work mega hard to combat it.  So, I reckon I will be a bit tired at the start of the week.  I have recently found Dandelion Coffee and Barley Rye - both of which you can use as a substitute hot drink, natural and with no caffeine.  So this is what I shall have instead.  Another step closer to a refreshing me!

Now for the other girls!

Aileen -  Aileen was pleases that she didn't suffer from the hunger pangs she was dreading and actually found it quite empowering knowing that she was nourishing her body rather than depriving it of sweet treats!  She found breakfast and lunch easy to adjust too but is struggling a bit more with dinner as she eats at the same time as her children, who obviously only ever want carbs!  To combat this she is substituting her usual pasta/potatoes for quinoa or extra spinach.  Aileen still needs to eat regularly though and has admitted that she is a bit more stumped when it comes to quick, nutritional snacks - they always seem to take that bit more effort to make!  So next week she aims to keep on track with her main meals and do a bit more research on how to make tasty filling snacks!  I'm sure she will share any fantastic recipes with us!


Natasha - This week Natasha has felt she had more energy, slept better and felt less bloated.  Her diet needed to be tweaked mid week as she felt she was eating the same things to try and stick with the diet sheet. Her goals for the next seven days are to stick with the foods on the diet sheet as Natasha is a Mixed type, which means its important for her to get her food combinations right as well as her macronutrient ratios (protein, carb and fat).  She loves to cook and what was on her diet plan was no different to what she would normally eat it was just getting the combinations right.  Having spoken with her last night, she may well be experiencing a detox - with an upset stomach.  This is the body's way of eliminating toxins.  This can also have the symptoms of sore heads, flu like feeling, bad breath or body odour or sometimes even sickness.  However this process usually is short lived.  Another step closer to a cleaner healthier you!

Sam xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment