Monday 22 June 2015

The Secret To Not Being FAT!

What a heading! 

The secret can be answered in the first sentence of this article - just love the way you are!

"REALLY!" I here you shout in your own head! It is as simple and as complicated as this.  That little nagging voice in your head nipping away at you each day (possibly all day) of how awful you look, how fat that looks, how unfit you feel, how disgusting it all is. 

Here's a question - would you speak to your best friend the way you speak to yourself? I'm hazarding a guess at "no" as you would quickly run out of friends.

If I woke up every morning, weighed myself and announced it on Facebook to allow people to judge me by my weight, the number on the scales, is that a true reflection of what I mean to my friends and family? NO! so why subject yourself to the torture of that number? 

I used to be that person; valuing myself with the figures on the scales and casting opinion of what other people must be thinking of me as a personal trainer and metabolic typing advisor.  I believed people must be looking at me teaching my Kettlebell class thinking "they must see I have put on weight"! The SHAME started creeping in as I should know better.  Why this SHAME? Because society/media has bred into us what we should be! What the "ideal weight" looks like as well as clubs that reward us on our weight, when it should be our health.

As a massage therapist, I am privileged to have people come to see me and feel confident enough to allow me to massage them.  For some this is a huge hurdle to remove any clothing.  I may also add I smile when my clients profusely apologies for not having shaved or have matching underwear on! The reason they do this, because they judge themselves so much that they believe that everyone else will too.  My job is never to judge or expect, just to observe and accept.  Everybody I meet I believe has an amazing body - but they do not see that because they fail to love themselves enough to honour the body they do have.  Perfection does not exist.  If this is what you strive for I wish you luck as you will never reach it and you have missed the wonderful journey of life there is to experience and all these amazing people around you. 

So what did I do?  I took a piece of my own advice and started to appreciate the person I was and not the number that those bloody scales said.  There are many things in life I know I am not very good at, equally there are many things in life I am good at.  I accept we have people who judge and pass comment, that is their entitlement and to a certain extent - their own insecurities.  So Be Brave, Be Bold, Love Life and Love You.  You will find you live in a much happier contented place.

I sleep well, I exercise well, I look well (with the exception of the occasional disrupted nights sleep with the little people). I have great vitality and I may add, according to guidelines, I'm over weight!!! Life is very good and it's for living.

Please remember

"Comparison is the thief of Joy"




You are unique, embrace it. 




To health and happiness.

Sam x

2 comments:

  1. Love this Sam. It reminds me of an article I saw on "self compassion". I will try and find it to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right, here is the website on self compassion - http://self-compassion.org/ byDr. Kristin Neff.

    ReplyDelete